Reckless Me - Day 281 Month 10-7 Week 39-1

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


1 Chronicles 17,18, Song of Solomon 8, Hosea 4, 1 Timothy 1

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles%2017%2C18%2C%20Song%20of%20Solomon%208%2C%20Hosea%204%2C%201%20Timothy%201&version=NASB1995


Reckless Me


“Even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor.  Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief… Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.  Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life” (1 Timothy 1:13-16 NASB1995).


The apostle Paul describes himself as a former blasphemer, persecutor and violent aggressor.  He’s talking about the time in his life before Jesus stopped him on the Damascus road.  Paul was actively opposed to Jesus and His followers.  He was there when Stephen was stoned to death, and Acts tells us that Saul was in hearty agreement with what was happening.


I look back on my life and I was never opposed to Jesus, but I was rebellious.  I was rebellious towards authority.  One of those rebellious things I did was drag race my car on Saturday evenings.


My 1971 Chevrolet Nova


My car was a 1971 Chevrolet Nova.  I built it so that the only hint that it was a fast car were the tires and rims.  Our typical Saturday evening started with dropping by the local bar for a couple of drinks and then heading over to the coffee shop in Aurora, Ontario, where fast cars and their drivers from throughout the region would hang out.  There was a car dealership across the road from the coffee shop and cops would always park in the dealership.  As a group, we’d wait until the police shift changed at midnight.  Once the police would leave for their shift change, we’d get in our cars and follow Witney, the kind of ringleader who had the fastest car, a T bucket Ford, to a secret destination.


One week, I was going to be racing my friend Donny and because my brother knew I would be racing, he got his wife and brother in law into their car and followed us to the race location.  His brother in law brought his tape recorder to record all the fun action.  When it was our turn, Donny and I lined up at the start line.  Someone had brought drag start tree lights so it really looked quite professional.  Donny and I lined up, did a burnout with our tires and moved back to the starting line.  As the lights went down the tree to green, Donny and I took off from the start.  We were neck and neck and Donny started to take the lead and then my car took off and I passed him just before the finish line.  The car at my side of the track flashed its lights to the finish line to designate me the winner.  About a mile farther up the road, Donny and I pulled our cars over and got out and started talking.


Donny explained, as an excuse, that his car was overheating, which is why he let me win.  As if!  We kidded back and forth and then noticed the police, with flashing lights, had arrived at the start line.  Donny and I jumped into our cars and drove quickly to the coffee shop at the end of the road I lived on.  About 10 minutes later, my brother, with his passengers, arrived at the same coffee shop.  Dan, my brother, thought I had been caught by the police, so we had a good laugh, listened to the tape his brother in law had recorded and then went to our homes.


It didn’t stop me from going to the drag races, but that was the last time I raced.  Though my actions were reckless and stupid, I never spoke out against Jesus or persecuted Christians.  What I did do was break the law, put other people at risk, and if a car accident had happened, people could have been killed.  I sinned against God because I was living recklessly and not thinking about how my actions could affect other people.


I wasn’t Paul.  I wasn’t persecuting Jesus followers.  But I was still a sinner who needed Jesus.  I don’t earn the right to follow Jesus because of anything I have done.  It is only through His grace and mercy that I can follow Him.


Paul experienced the perfect patience of Jesus, and so do I.  I believe in Him for eternal life, not because I have lived a perfect life, but because Jesus is merciful and patient with people like Paul and people like me.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures