In The Name of Jesus - Day 278 Month 10-4 Week 38-5
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Chronicles 12, Song of Solomon 5, Hosea 1, 2 Thessalonians 1In the Name of Jesus
Hosea was told by the LORD to “Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the LORD” (Hosea 1:2). Then God gave Hosea names for all of the children born, representing His judgement on the nation of Israel.
God was illustrating through the marriage and children of Hosea Israel’s deeds and how and why He would judge the nation of Israel. I think of Israel in comparison to the world today. I can only imagine what kind of illustration God might use to show us how far His people can stray from what He intended.
As Christianity became increasingly connected with political power, particularly after Constantine, parts of the church began embracing ideas that were difficult to reconcile with the teachings of Jesus. The church developed justifications for war, even though Jesus taught us to love our enemies.
At the time of the Reformation, Catholics killed Protestants, Protestants killed Catholics, and both Catholics and Protestants killed Anabaptists. Anabaptists were persecuted and killed partly because of their rejection of infant baptism and their understanding of baptism as a conscious decision to follow Jesus.
Christians also led the Crusades, military campaigns fought partly over control of the Holy Land, against Muslims and others.
Jesus said, “Love your enemies” and “Love your neighbour as yourself.” Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth” and “you are the light of the world.” Jesus said, “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you.”
I don’t have a personal story for today, but my heart was heavy when I read Hosea chapter 1 and realized how Israel had strayed from what God had intended. In the same way, I think about how, throughout history, people who claimed the name of Jesus have been involved in some incredibly brutal wars and acts of violence. And then I read how Jesus said, “Love your neighbour as yourself.”
Before I point my finger at the church throughout history, I also have to ask myself the same question. Am I actually living the way Jesus told me to live?
We can’t fix what the church has done wrong, but we can still choose to love our neighbours as ourselves.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment