I'd Even Eat Vegan - Day 284 Month 10-10 Week 39-4

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)

1 Chronicles 22:6-23:32, Job 3, Hosea 7, 1 Timothy 4

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles%2022%3A6-23%3A32%2C%20Job%203%2C%20Hosea%207%2C%201%20Timothy%204&version=NASB1995


I’d Even Eat Vegan

“For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanct ified by means of the word of God and prayer” (1 Timothy 4:4,5 NASB1995).

Paul is specifically talking about the verses before this one, where he warns that in later times people will fall away from the faith and promote teachings that forbid marriage and require abstaining from foods that God has created.  I’m sure Paul could have used other examples, but marriage and food seem enough to make his point.

A small aside here.  I wonder what the response of the Roman Catholic Church is to this point about marriage of its clergy?  It seems pretty obvious to me.  However, I struggle with some of Paul’s teaching on the role of women from the previous 1 Timothy readings, so I suppose they, like me, would have a response that justifies their stand.

I guess part of my thinking today is that a person may have good convictions that lead them to remain unmarried or avoid eating certain foods.  Having these convictions is not wrong, but making them part of what defines your faith is contrary to what defines a Jesus follower.

Marriage is good, but even the apostle Paul was unmarried.  Some people choose to remain unmarried or never meet the “right person.”  Being vegan because you don’t feel you should eat meat or food resulting from an animal’s death is OK, but I choose to eat meat.  Neither of those positions is dictated by my faith as a Jesus follower.

What it comes down to is judging.  We should not look down on someone else because of their position on marriage or food.  We should be careful to separate those convictions from our faith.

I like chicken, I like turkey, and I especially like beef, whether hamburgers or prime rib. I like pork, and I tolerate fish and seafood.  These are the foods I enjoy.  Syl has always absolutely loved lobster, but she’s less inclined to have it now because she believes lobsters feel pain when they are put into boiling water.  I know some people who are vegan.  If I were hosting them for dinner, I would prepare a vegan meal, and I’m sure I’d enjoy it.  I respect those who have different food convictions.  It’s part of loving your neighbour as yourself.

What Jesus tells us is to love the LORD our God with all our heart, mind and soul, and love our neighbour as ourselves. If I have to eat vegan to love my neighbour, I’ll eat vegan.

Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures