I Get It Now - Day 275 Month 10-1 Week 38-2
1 Chronicles 8:1-9:34, Song of Solomon 2, Daniel 10:10-21, 1 Thessalonians 3
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles%208%3A1-9%3A34%2C%20Song%20of%20Solomon%202%2C%20Daniel%2010%3A10-21%2C%201%20Thessalonians%203&version=NASB1995
I Get It Now
As a child I was introduced to a song that we would sing at Sunday School and at camp. It was called “His Banner Over Me is Love.”
“He brought me to His banqueting table
His banner over me is love,
He brought me to His banqueting table
His banner over me is love;
He brought me to His banqueting table
His banner over me is love,
His banner over me is love.”
I didn’t know or understand that it was from the book of Song of Solomon, chapter two and it was a part of a bride's statement of love for her groom. As a child, if I had known that, I would have said yuk and refused to sing it because it was a girl talking about mushy things. I thought that was the first verse of the song but in fact, according to hymnary.org, it’s actually the second verse. We would often sing a different verse as well and I always thought that the leader just added these words because they fit.
“I am my Beloved’s and He is mine
His banner over me is love,
I am my Beloved’s and He is mine
His banner over me is love;
I am my Beloved’s and He is mine
His banner over me is love,
His banner over me is love.”
Both of these verses are written from the bride's perspective and are easily understood in the way the hymn was written. The hymn takes these words and applies the bride and groom imagery to Christ and His people, with Jesus as the groom and us as His bride.
I believe that when we genuinely choose to follow Jesus, we become part of the bride of Christ and nothing will change that. From that perspective it is a comfort to read “I am my Beloved’s and He is mine” (Song of Solomon 2:16) and that “His banner over me is love” (Song of Solomon 2:4).
When we look at Jesus’ instructions to us, and we look at His sacrifice, it is clear that Jesus loves us. In response, by becoming a Jesus follower, we are also wanting to respond in love to him.
To look at all of these words from a perspective of Jesus, we are His and He is ours, He loves us and we love him. We will be with Him in His kingdom forever. He invites His bride to the banqueting table, not because we have earned our place there, but because He loves us.
Makes you want to love your neighbour so they can share in that experience!
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment