Heaven is Better Than Bacon - Day 277 Month 10-3 Week 38-4
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Chronicles 11:10-47, Song of Solomon 4, Daniel 12, 1 Thessalonians 5
Heaven is Better Than Bacon
Today was the first day in a very long time that I made my complete breakfast on the barbecue. Now, I’d be happy to make this breakfast in the kitchen, but Sylvia does not like the smell of bacon cooking in the morning. In fact, it makes her feel ill. So when I want to cook bacon, I do it on a large cast iron griddle that I put on the upper level of the barbecue.
I cook a whole pack of bacon at once so I can have a repeat of the breakfast a couple of days later. Once I put the bacon on and it’s almost cooked, I put on the hash browns. Then, once they are almost ready, I crack a couple of eggs where the bacon was cooking. By this time, I’ve stacked my bacon strips in one corner of the griddle. I put a couple of pieces of buttered bread down on the barbecue grates and let them toast while the eggs are being perfectly cooked.
Once it’s all complete, I put the toast, hash browns, four pieces of bacon and two over easy eggs on my plate and head inside the house. It is my ultimate farmers breakfast and for the ten minutes I’m eating it, I feel like I’m in heaven. Then I’m done and I question whether it was worth it when I see the amount of cleanup it takes.
That got me thinking about what we’ve been reading the last couple of days. We’ve been reading both 1 Thessalonians 4 and Daniel 12, and both passages talk about what happens when Jesus returns. It can be a little disconcerting to read about the dead coming out of their graves in Daniel 12:2, but this is ultimately a passage about resurrection and the future God has promised.
I’m looking forward to God’s kingdom. When I die, I believe I will be with Jesus, unless He returns during my lifetime. Then I won’t physically die. Either way, my hope is that one day I will be with Jesus.
I imagine it being a little like my breakfast, but not exactly like bacon. After all the slings and arrows that this world throws at us, as a Jesus follower, I believe there is a day coming when we will meet Jesus. This life is temporary, but our hope in Jesus points us toward something that lasts forever.
Once this life ends, or Jesus returns, the breakfast is ready. We get to sit down at the table with Jesus, and unlike my farmers breakfast, we don’t have to clean up afterwards. We have moved on to what God has promised us.
The Bible talks about rewards, but honestly, I think the reward I’m looking forward to most is Jesus Himself.
That makes the cleanup of this life a little easier to handle.
And the big breakfast in the sky sounds pretty good too.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment