Can You Feel It? - Day 282 Month 10-8 Week 39-2
1 Chronicles 19,20, Job 1, Hosea 5, 1 Timothy 2
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles%2019%2C20%2C%20Job%201%2C%20Hosea%205%2C%201%20Timothy%202&version=NASB1995
Can You Feel It?
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD” (Job 1:21 NASB1995).
Biblical scholars are divided on whether the story of Job is a true story, a fable or a fictional lesson. Like many passages of the Bible, I typically consider that it could be either. Whether Job is a historical account or a wisdom story, the lesson it presents is still powerful. We are meant to learn from it.
We are presented with two sides of the story today. We have Satan standing before God and we have Job facing a complete annihilation of his wealth and the loss of all his sons and daughters.
A person can only imagine the immense pain, sadness and grief that would confront someone losing so much at once, not just financially but losing all their children at the same time.
In my life I have witnessed families losing a child, whether at birth or later in life. The immense sorrow that the parents and family have faced has been almost unbearable for them. Sometimes they question God and ask why God allowed this to happen. I have also heard stories of people who have lost their wealth or savings because of fraud, and I remember how many people lost their wealth in the market crash of 2008. I’m sure that caused people to question why and question their purpose, and for some, whether life was even worth continuing.
In my mid thirties, I was faced with separation and divorce. I had never considered that I would be in that position but I was. I was a Jesus follower and believed that my faith would keep me from facing devastating circumstances, since both of us were Jesus followers. It didn’t. During that time, I went through a lot of emotional ups and downs, not understanding exactly why I ended up there, and it put me into a state of depression. One day I drove to the tallest ledge I knew of and walked to the edge considering it would be the easiest way out of my pain. As I stood there, I felt God remind me that I have a son and it would be incredibly selfish of me to leave him without a father. I turned around, walked to my car and life went on. I was able to get help and here I am 30 years later having been married to Sylvia for 26 years and I’m sitting here able to write a faith blog.
Knowing my own reaction to facing divorce and reading about Job facing all the loss he faced at one time, I can only imagine the questions and pain he was experiencing. Job’s faith was strong enough that, even in all the pain and emotions, he could still say, “Blessed be the name of the LORD.” He was completely unaware of the conversation that was happening between God and Satan.
As we continue to read Job, I am curious to see what comes next and whether Job finds out why all this happens. I have read this before so I do know the ending but now I want to look at it each day and see if I learn any new tidbits of understanding.
The one thing I’ve learned today is that you don’t always have to feel it to say “Blessed be the name of the LORD.” I’m sure Job did not feel it but he knew it!
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment