Truth Hurts - Day 260 Month 9-16, Week 36-1

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)

2 Kings 15:32-16:20, Ecclesiastes 1:12-18, Daniel 2:19-35, Ephesians 4

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%2015%3A32-16%3A20%2C%20Ecclesiastes%201%3A12-18%2C%20Daniel%202%3A19-35%2C%20Ephesians%204&version=NASB1995


Truth Hurts


“In much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain” (Ecclesiastes 1:18).


This scripture really hit home to me today.  Particularly “increasing knowledge results in increasing pain.”  News is something that is intended to keep us informed on happenings here and around the world.  I tend to read the news on my News App on my phone.  I’m not big on listening to snippets of news in video form, I simply prefer to read.  It’s quieter too.


I find as I’m reading news stories, I constantly have to have the filter on, determining what point of view the news article is being written from and whether the news is real news or simply opinion.  It can be tiring.  Using wisdom and the knowledge I have already accumulated, I can generally determine what I believe is truth.


The more wisdom and knowledge I apply to the news I read the more depressing the news becomes.  It’s painful.  We read of wars, we read of trade wars, we read of misguided leaders and we read of taxes, rising prices and we read of people dying.  I can fully understand why some people choose not to pay attention to the news.  It must seem much easier and less painful to just live a quiet life and mind one’s own business.


I started to ask myself, does this mean the preacher, the king in Jerusalem, is telling us we should not pursue wisdom and knowledge?  I believe he is simply pointing out that wisdom and knowledge reveal truth and sometimes that truth is difficult to accept.


As a Jesus follower, I see it being important to obtain as much wisdom and knowledge as I can. Why?  So that I can better understand the world and help those who are struggling.  


However, the Jesus follower's life should not be centred on wisdom and knowledge or news.  We are meant to be active, having put on “the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth” (Ephesians 4:24).  In Ephesians 4 we are told to:

  • Speak truth with our neighbour (be honest in your way of life)

  • Be angry, yet do not sin

  • If you steal, steal no longer but labour so as to share with someone in need

  • Only speak words that edify and bring peace (don’t stir “it” up)

  • Put away all bitterness and wrath, anger, clamor, slander and malice

  • “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other just as God in Christ also has forgiven you” (Ephesians 4:32).


As a Jesus follower, I believe one of our callings is to be the person that people are drawn to because we bring peace.  We bring peace because we have put on “the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.” This new self is one that loves and brings peace.  


In this world of difficulty, who is not attracted to peace and love?  It’s like lying on a hammock in the summer breeze without a care in the world or bugs!  I want to be the one that brings this love and peace.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures