The Goal - Day 267 Month 9-23 Week 37-1

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)

2 Kings 23:34-24:20, Ecclesiastes 7, Daniel 5:13-31, Philippians 3

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%2023%3A34-24%3A20%2C%20Ecclesiastes%207%2C%20Daniel%205%3A13-31%2C%20Philippians%203&version=NASB1995


The Goal


I’ve often heard the statement, “If you have no goals, you will achieve them.”  I have been questioned often in my life about what my life goals are and I’ve never been able to articulate them.  I have many dreams of life that I have imagined but dreams are not goals.


I once had a very narrow perspective about who is a Christian.  I had it defined right down to someone who has said the “sinners prayer.”  So I said the “sinners prayer.”  I said it when I was eleven years of age and then in a way I saw myself as signed, sealed and delivered.  I was a child of God, I signed on the dotted line (said the “sinners prayer”) and delivered.  I had my kingdom passport.


If you are not sure what I mean as the “sinners prayer” let me explain.  The sinner's prayer is a man made idea, but it is one way people have expressed their decision to follow Jesus.  Some people express their decision to follow Jesus in a prayer between themselves and God.  A simple example might be a prayer admitting our sin, acknowledging what Jesus did through His death and resurrection, accepting God's gift of salvation and asking Jesus to become the centre of our lives.  The exact words aren't important.


My narrow perspective of who a Christian is was blown out of the water at several points in my life.  Using my own life as an example, though I have struggled at times in my own faith, deep down, I remember sitting on my camp bed at age 11 and asking Jesus to step into my life.  Not only do I remember the occasion but deep down inside I know the Holy Spirit is there and no matter what I do, I know that I am a Jesus follower.  It’s there and I can’t deny it.  I have changed and my perspective on life has changed.  


I’ve known people who have prayed the sinners' prayer and do not appear to have changed.  In fact, all appearances suggest their lives were not changed by following Jesus.  I also know people who grew up in churches that never emphasized the sinner's prayer.  I know of people who never entered a door in a church yet, lived what was, by all appearances a person of faith,  yet they haven’t spoken of it to others.  When they pass on they leave their bible and you find out they read that bible over and over again.  There are pages worn and torn and underlining and prayers written throughout.  All this to say the person was likely more like Jesus than I will ever be.  I don’t know people’s hearts but God does.  I don’t know who is or is not a believer but I am not as narrow in my definition any more.


So what does all this have to do with my life goals?  The apostle Paul says it.

“I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do:  forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13,14).


In life, we should have short term goals and long term goals but the one goal that overshadows all of them for a Jesus follower is the upward call of God.  No matter what earthly goals I have, my real goals are to follow Jesus, love God, love my neighbour as myself and make disciples.  Every earthly goal in my life coincides with the real goal.  For a Jesus follower, that is the real goal.


If you are a Jesus follower, maybe ask yourself where your goals are right now.  Maybe it’s a time to reassess and ensure they are in keeping with your higher goal.


If you are not a Jesus follower, why not consider if your earthly goals are really working.  Are your earthly goals actually giving you the purpose and satisfaction you hoped they would?  Maybe consider what Jesus says about the purpose of our lives.

 

If you are considering this, I want you to be aware there is a cost.  The gift is free but you will experience a change in your life.  Your perspective on life will change.  You could lose friends.  In some places in the world, following Jesus can even mean being rejected by your family, imprisoned or killed because of your faith.


If you still want to do this, just talk to God.  Say “Hey God, this makes sense.  I accept your gift of life in your kingdom and I believe Jesus died for me.  I’ve sinned and I know it.  Please come in and take over.”  If you have made this decision and you are being authentic, your life will change as you begin to follow Jesus.   


If you’ve made the decision today, please let me know.  My email address is below and I’d love to give you some suggestions as you begin following Jesus.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures