Just Trying to Out-give God - Day 246 Month 9-2 Week 34-1
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Kings 21:1-22:12, Proverbs 26:15-28, Ezekiel 40:5-49, 2 Corinthians 9
Just Trying to Out-give God
I have mentioned that the church I grew up in had a main goal of raising funds to send missionaries around the world. Once every year we had a conference to raise funds for “World Missions.” This was not a cash offering but it was called faith promise. The idea was for those in the congregation to decide what they feel they can give in the next year, through faith, to support the “World Missions” program of the church. People were urged to give beyond what they felt was possible but not to be unwise. There were motivational banners placed throughout the building and main auditorium. One of the banners that I recall stated, “You Can’t Outgive God.”
In 2 Corinthians 9, Paul is urging the Corinthian church to raise finances to help the needy and famine-stricken Christian believers in Jerusalem and Judea. In verse 6, Paul says “he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.” The apostle Paul is not telling people to give recklessly but to give bountifully. He continues in verse 7 with “ Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
The first part of what he says sounds like a good deal. If I give lots of money to this good cause, I’m going to get a lot of money back. So it stands to reason that if I give everything I have, I’m going to be rich. Unfortunately, for someone with that mindset, they are going to be very disappointed. Paul isn't promising a financial reward. He's talking about generosity producing a return. The return can be provision, gratitude, relationships, changed lives, generosity continuing through others, or simply the joy of participating in God's work.
The statement “God loves a cheerful giver” is the key. They were urged to give bountifully but they were also urged to give cheerfully. In other words, give with the spirit of love. Your motivation is not focused on what you can get back but on what you can give.
God will supply all your needs. “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). Paul wasn't promising wealth. He was assuring a generous church that God would provide what they needed.
If you are being charitable with your money and you are cheerfully giving, you may receive back financially but the reward is far greater than money. Sylvia and I currently support one child and have supported two kids in the past with the Watoto organization. Watoto is a program for orphans in Uganda that brings orphan children into small homes to raise the orphan in a healthy family environment. We had the opportunity to go to Uganda and work on building two of these orphan homes. While we were there we met and spent time with both Kate and Godfrey, the orphans we supported at the time. Playing soccer with Godfrey is what I remember vividly. He could play circles around me but it didn’t matter. Our reward was to see Godfrey and Kate, in a healthy environment, knowing that they were experiencing this life because Sylvia and I were supporting them. That’s what I call reaping bountifully.
As a Jesus follower, I believe God will supply what I need, but I also believe that when I give wisely to the work I believe God has called us to, I will reap a reward that is worth far more than money.
I could die with nothing yet God has outgiven me in return for my faithfulness. Very simply, you can’t outgive God.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment