I Enjoy a Good Apple - Day 265 Month 9-21 Week 36-6

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)

2 Kings 21:19-23:3, Ecclesiastes 5, Daniel 4:19-37, Philippians 1:21-2:18

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%2021%3A19-23%3A3%2C%20Ecclesiastes%205%2C%20Daniel%204%3A19-37%2C%20Philippians%201%3A21-2%3A18&version=NASB1995


I Enjoy a Good Apple


I am not a wealthy person but neither am I poor.  I have been gifted with some skills that I’ve been able to use to make every home we’ve owned comfortable.  Sylvia and I own 8 acres of land that is on the shore of the Bay of Fundy.  We have 2 vehicles, a 21 foot RV, a tractor and an awesome zero turn mower for cutting approximately 3 acres of grass.  We have enough money in investments to augment our government pensions and live comfortably.  I am very aware that there are many people who are much wealthier than I and there are very many people who do not have what we have.


Having money is not bad in itself.  We do know that “the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil” (1 Timothy 6:10).  Not all evil but all sorts of it.  Money today is required for living.  It pays the bills, pays for food and apples, and pays for the fuel that our vehicles need for their engines.


“Exactly as a man is born, thus he will he die.  So what is the advantage to him who toils for the wind” (Ecclesiastes 5:16)?  Solomon is presenting this question.  He answers the question with, “Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting:  to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labour in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward” (Ecclesiastes 5:18).


According to Solomon, it’s very right to enjoy life and, might I boldly say, God intends us to enjoy the life He has given us.


However, it’s important to keep all in balance.  Jesus says in Matthew 25 regarding the judgement he gives a description of those who are welcomed into His kingdom. “Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.”  


As much as we are to enjoy the fruit of our labour, we are also to care for the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the poor, the sick and the prisoners.  Jesus is reminding us that we are to love our neighbour and this is what it looks like.  Caring for people who are hungry, thirsty, strangers, poor, sick and imprisoned.


Here’s the thing. We should enjoy the fruit of our labour, but part of enjoying it is sharing and caring.  There is deep satisfaction in enjoying what God has given us while helping someone else enjoy life too.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures