I Didn't Want to Hear That - Day 248 Month 9-4 Week 34-3
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
2 Kings 1:1-2:14, Proverbs 27:15-27, Ezekiel 42, 2 Corinthians 11
I Didn’t Want to Hear That
“Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17).
Do you pursue relationships with people that mostly agree with you? Ya, I do too. We all like having friends that we can laugh and joke around with, who will not give you a hard time. The verse quoted above is not talking necessarily talking about those kinds of relationships but it’s relationships that help change, challenge and improve us.
When I started writing this blog on a daily basis, Sylvia edited it every day. Sylvia is an aggressive editor and she would make a lot of changes to what I was writing. In fact many of the changes caused me frustration because I felt like it took away from what I was trying to say. She would also give me pointers that would give her less to edit. Over time her editing became less and less and the corrections were typically just spelling and minor grammatical changes.
Sylvia was not getting lazier with her editing but I was becoming a better writer. The problems she was catching had become less. It was iron sharpening iron.
This is a good example of what Solomon was getting at in this verse.
The same is true in faith. I have listened to people who believe differently than I do, and it has helped me understand their perspective and look more carefully at my own faith. Sometimes someone who challenges what I believe helps me understand why I believe it. I don’t have to agree with someone to learn from them. If I only listen to people who agree with me, I may never recognize the places where my own thinking needs to be sharpened.
In men's ministries, it was common to have an accountability partner. This was a person who would agree to ask you the “hard questions.” You know, it’s those questions about sin that could easily entrap you. It is the same idea as having a sponsor in recovery from alcoholism.
Accountability isn't just about improving our behaviour. As a Jesus follower, I also need to recognize that I can convince myself that something is okay when it really isn't. Paul warns the Corinthians that even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
Of course, iron sharpening iron works both ways. I need people who will challenge me, but I also need to be willing to lovingly challenge others when they need it.
Having people who love us enough to question our questionable choices can help us recognize those little compromises of sin before they take us down the wrong path.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment