Fruit not Fruits - Day 255 Month 9-11 Week 35-3
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
2 Kings 9:27-33, Proverbs 30:24-33, Ezekiel 47:13-48:9, Galatians 5
Fruit Not Fruits
I know people whose lives represent a spirit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. My mother was a good example of that. At times I can be described that way as well but not always.
I also know people whose lives would be better described as angry, disagreeable or immoral. I have seen those behaviours in people at the hardware store, and I have seen situations where anger has turned into arguments.
As a Jesus follower, I should be most recognized by the first paragraph.
“It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery” (Galatians 5:1). The apostle Paul is talking about the law and how some of the believers in Galatia were claiming faith in Jesus yet still believing they had to follow the law. So he explains that Jesus' death and resurrection has set them free from the slavery of following the law.
I believe in Jesus’ death and resurrection. Through that belief I have experienced life change caused by my faith. Because of the life change that faith in Jesus Christ brings, my life has a different outlook. It’s an outlook shaped by the Holy Spirit. Because of the Holy Spirit living in me, I will show the spirit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. This is called the fruit of the Spirit. Though each one is individual, a Jesus follower who is led by the Holy Spirit carries the fruit, not just individual fruits.
Ok, so a moment of truth. I know that I have even mentioned in one of my earlier posts how I became angry with my boss at the hardware store. I did! In fact, I have often done some of the things I listed in the second paragraph. Being a Jesus follower does not instantly turn me into everything described in the first paragraph. I apologized for my anger with my boss as soon as I got home because I was convicted in my heart. I think it’s important that when the Holy Spirit brings something to my heart that needs to be corrected, I confess it to Him and ask Him to help me change. As I do that, I continue to grow and, for the most part, show the whole fruit of the Spirit rather than just a few of the fruits.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment