Food and Rest for Whatever Comes Next - Day 244 Month 8-31 Week 33-6
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Kings 19, Proverbs 25:23-28, Ezekiel 39:1-24, 2 Corinthians 7
Food and Rest for Whatever Comes Next
Elijah was used by God to do amazing things before King Ahab and the prophets of Baal. As God had promised, God also sent rain. Ahab’s wife Jezebel threatens Elijah’s life and Elijah runs. Elijah travels to Beersheba and then an additional day’s journey on his own. Elijah prays for his own death.
I notice from this story that it was after a great victory that Elijah seems to go into deep discouragement because of fear. You’d expect a person who had just seen victory to feel more powerful and have less fear. I suspect that fear was always something Elijah had to deal with, even though God had used him so powerfully. God still chose to use Elijah even in his weakness.
I see God using Elijah in his weakness and providing food and water for him when he wanted to die, nourishing him and giving him strength. Then Elijah went on a 40 day journey.
We all have weaknesses. As I’m getting older I’m noticing that I am not as physically strong as I used to be. I have other weaknesses too. I can be lazy. When Syl and I are camping Sylvia might say to me, what did you want to do today? When I get asked that question, I’m often thinking, “nothing really.” I need to push myself to do something. I have many odd jobs, and some big jobs to do around the house. I typically procrastinate until it needs to be done and my time is limited.
It’s comforting that God used Elijah even in what I believe were weaknesses. That means that I can be a use to God in my weaknesses. It doesn’t mean that I should pursue laziness or procrastination because I want to be more useful to God. That is not my point at all. I still need to push myself to overcome my laziness and procrastination. Part of the motivation I need is to know that it’s worth me fighting off the laziness to be able to be part of something that God is doing.
This also applies to when I am camping with Sylvia. I can fight off the laziness knowing that we can go biking, canoeing or swimming and once I am doing one of the activities available to us, I will have a great time.
One thing I also noticed was that when Elijah was at his lowest, God provided what he needed and gave him time. He provided food and water and then let him rest. Then there was more food and water. When Elijah was ready, he was able to begin the 40 day journey.
God provided what Elijah needed. Elijah didn't need a sermon when he was exhausted. He needed food, water and rest. God knew that. I believe God will also provide for my needs for whatever comes next.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment