Enlarge My Border - Day 271 Month 9-27 Week 37-5
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Chronicles 3:1-4:23, Ecclesiastes 11, Daniel 7:15-8:8, Colossians 3
Enlarge My Border
Back in the year 2000, Bruce Wilkinson wrote a book called The Prayer of Jabez: Breaking through to the Blessed Life. His book sold millions of copies worldwide, and it was simply based on the verse, “Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!” (1 Chronicles 4:10 NASB1995). It seemed everywhere you looked Christians were talking about and praying the prayer of Jabez. The reader was challenged to pray the prayer word for word for 30 days, and it would be found to be a spiritual key to God’s hidden blessings and expand their life and influence.
Sylvia and I were running the bed and breakfast at that time, and our territory seemed pretty large already. I never read the book, so I can’t make an opinion on the book or the motivation to say the prayer. What I do know is that Jabez said that prayer, and it became true for Jabez.
I pray every day. Sometimes I spend more time in prayer and sometimes I spend less time. When I pray, sometimes it’s requesting help for my needs, and very often I’m discussing with God how to love my neighbour.
Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your mind,” and “You shall love your neighbour as yourself” (Matthew 22:37,39). He also said to “make disciples.”
I’m not sure that we need to read the prayer of Jabez to realize that our borders are already expanded. The “love your neighbour” bit is very large. In fact, loving your neighbour is continuously expanding.
Maybe we can ask God to show us how to love our neighbours better, and there will be no need to pray the prayer of Jabez. If you are following the greatest commandments, I can assure you that God’s hand will be with you.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment