But I Wanted a New Truck - Day 268 Month 9-24 Week 37-2

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)

But I Wanted a New Truck

“In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me”  (Philippians 4:12,13).


I heard a story about someone at an event where the scheduled singer was unable to perform.  The person quoted, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me,” and got up and started to sing.  Unfortunately, the verse doesn't mean God will give us the ability to accomplish whatever we decide to do.  Needless to say, the person could not carry a tune if their life depended on it.  


What Paul was really saying is that whether he had plenty or was suffering from need, he had learned to rely on God for the inner strength to endure his circumstances.


Earlier in the chapter, Paul also says “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6,7).  If you notice, Paul is not saying in this circumstance that God will fulfill all the Philippians requests.  What he’s saying is God will provide His peace and will guard your minds.  I believe God provides what I need, but He does not promise to fulfill all of my requests.


I’m back to talking about a truck today.  Early in the year when I was facing either fixing or replacing my truck, I wanted God to replace it.  I was so certain that God would provide the replacement that I had gone ahead searching online for a new truck.  One evening when I was meeting with my small group (a small group of like minded believers from my church) one of the men in the group asked me if I had talked to a specific garage.  I took that as God providing for my immediate need, but a new truck was not happening at that time.  Though I was disappointed because I wanted a new truck, I was at peace because I knew I would have a truck to look after my needs.  


I was disappointed because I wanted a new truck, but I was also at peace because I believed God had provided what I needed. 


Through prayer, God’s strength and peace, we can endure much even though it may not be what we had hoped for.  That’s encouraging even if we’re a little disappointed.


Paul also gives the Philippians and us some clues on how to live a godly life.  Things to pursue that are in keeping with who God is.  Paul says “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things” (Philippians 4:8).  These should captivate our thinking.  I know I fail at times, but the Holy Spirit will often redirect me back to these things. 


So what’s our recap?  God gives us strength to endure difficult circumstances, He gives us peace when we bring our concerns to Him, and He calls us to fill our minds with things that reflect His character.     


I prayed for a new truck. God provided a fix for my old truck. Maybe contentment begins when I stop telling God what the answer should look like.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures