Standing in the Gap - Day 221 Month 8-8 Week 32-4

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


2 Samuel 19:8-43, Proverbs 16:22-33, Ezekiel 22, 1 Corinthians 1

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Samuel%2019%3A8-43%2C%20Proverbs%2016%3A22-33%2C%20Ezekiel%2022%2C%201%20Corinthians%201&version=ESV

Standing in the Gap

“I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; but I found no one” (Ezekiel 22:30)


Our dog is often sick.  He’s been sickly since we got him but he has no understanding apart from the fact that he is spending most of his day sleeping.  He is sick right now.  We recently went on a 5 day camping trip to New Brunswick.  We left him at his daycare while we were away.  He loves it there and they treat him like part of their dog family.  When we came back to get him, they informed us he has diarrhoea and it started a couple of days earlier.  We brought him home and things started to improve so we weren’t too worried and then it started getting worse.  We contacted our veterinarian's office only to find out she was on vacation this week.  We were redirected to the after hours emergency number and they told us it wasn’t an emergency and to call the clinic that was handling on-call emergencies when they open in the morning.  As I’m writing this, I expect to be calling them in about 5 minutes.  Jake cannot do this himself and he needs help.  Sylvia and I have chosen to stand in the gap for Jake because he is after all our responsibility.  That being said, without us, Jake would end up getting sicker and sicker.  We can’t heal him but we can stand in the gap and get him help.


Through Ezekiel, God explains He searched for an intercessor to prevent destruction of corrupt Israel and He found “no one.”  Because of that, God says “I have consumed them with the fire for My wrath” Ezekiel 22:31.


Hundreds of years later, God Himself provided the intercessor no one else could.  His name is Jesus.  Even though Israel was God’s chosen people and they would act as a light to the nations, God provided the intercessor for each and every one of us.  We stood under God’s judgement but God gave us a way out.


The story of Jesus being the atoning sacrifice for the world may sound like “foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Corinthians 1:18).  Jesus stands in the gap and because of Him, I, and everyone who trusts Him, will live eternally in God's kingdom.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures