Really? This Government? - Day 217 Month 8-4 Week 31-7
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
2 Samuel 14:21-15:37, Proverbs 15:12-22, Ezekiel 20:1-32, Romans 13
Really? This Government?
I don’t know about you, but I’m not a real fan of the federal government. I vote, and the government that I voted for is in power right now. I’m still not a big fan. It was, in my opinion, the better choice. I did not vote in favour of our current provincial government, but I voted, and I always try to. I think the biggest problem I have with the government is taxes. I don’t like that Tax Freedom Day does not happen until June 9 for the average Canadian. That means that, according to the Fraser Institute’s calculation, the average Canadian family would theoretically work the first 159 days of the year to pay for all levels of government. The calculation includes income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes, property taxes and other taxes. It is important to understand that this is an estimate of the overall tax burden on an average Canadian family, not that every Canadian pays that exact percentage of their income in taxes.
Paul says, “Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God; and those which exist are established by God” (Romans 13:1). Later in the chapter he says, “Render to all what is due them; tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor” (Romans 13:7).
Taxes, which you may have gathered is my big one, keep the government operating, which in turn keeps the legal system operating and allows laws to be enforced. The government also provides security for our country, and the leadership of our government works with other nations to provide security on a much greater level.
So that begs the question. Does this mean that all governments are good? I say no. If you take the spirit of what Paul is saying, he is talking about the legitimate role the government has in providing order, restraining wrongdoing and administering justice. Is the government really put in place by God? I would say that God is sovereign over government, but that does not mean He approves of everything a government does. He allows governments to exist and is not surprised by anything a government does.
Another question then. When is it right not to obey the government? God may allow government, but when government creates laws and enforces laws that directly require us to act against God and oppose His character, our ultimate loyalty is to God. The apostles made this clear when they said, “We must obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29).
Using Iran as an example, there are significant restrictions and persecution affecting Christian converts and Christians in Iran. Estimates in 2025 suggested there were between 720,000 and 1 million Christian converts in Iran, although the exact number is difficult to determine. If a government directly prohibits a person from obeying something God has commanded, then, as Jesus followers, we have to choose God’s authority over human authority. I am a dual citizen. Because I am a Jesus follower, I have a passport for God’s kingdom. God’s kingdom takes precedence over any earthly kingdom.
In Canada, whether I like it or not, I am obligated to pay taxes, and our government has the responsibility of serving the people and creating and enforcing laws for the country. In no way am I held back from sharing my faith.
As long as obeying the government does not require me to disobey God, I will continue to obey the government and respect the laws of the country.
A little side note: Recent changes to Canada’s hate propaganda laws have raised questions among some Christians about the protection of religious expression. The government says the new law does not criminalize religious teaching, preaching or reading Scripture. If that ever changes and I am legally prohibited from obeying what God has commanded, I will have to choose God’s authority over the law.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment