Love is the Right Measure - Day 228 Month 8-15 Week 33-4

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


1 Kings 1:38-2:27, Proverbs 20:1-10, Ezekiel 27:1-25, 1 Corinthians 9

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Kings%201%3A38-2%3A27%2C%20Proverbs%2020%3A1-10%2C%20Ezekiel%2027%3A1-25%2C%201%20Corinthians%209&version=NIV


Love is the Right Measure


By now, I’m sure you know I work in a hardware store.  There is a lot of new technology used in a modern hardware store but there are several things that are very old technology.  


One is the computer software we use for all transactions.  This is 2026, yet the computer software we use is DOS software that originated from the 1980’s.  It works, but it’s a learning curve because normal computer systems have come a long way and a mouse cannot be used in DOS. 


Another one is that we sell bulk nails and screws.  In the late 1970’s I also worked in a hardware store and we sold bulk nails in those days too.  The scales have changed but the process doesn’t.  If someone wants a pound of nails they are welcome to weigh them or we will be happy to weigh them out.  When I was being trained, on my first day in this hardware store, I was shown to put the bag or box on the weigh scales first and zero the scale.  That way, the customer gets the full quantity of nails they have asked for and they have not been unfairly charged.  It also benefits us because it keeps the nail inventory as accurate as possible.


“Differing weights and differing measures, both of them are abominable to the LORD.” (Proverbs 20:10)


I’m sure back in biblical times, all forms of weighing and measuring were done with scales.  A scale works on the basic principle that you have a known, accurate weight. When you weigh something against it, you can determine whether it weighs the same as the known weight.  If a shop keeper uses inaccurate weights representing the known weight, the shop keeper can cheat the purchaser of some value.


The weights and balances thinking can sometimes simply be thought of as being honest or fair.  A couple of other circumstances came to mind as I considered this.


Paying an employee what they are due.  If an employee works, it is only right that the employer pays the employee for the work completed.  However, the employee is obligated to do the tasks the employer is paying them to do.  If either the employer or employee deliberately fails to keep their end of the agreement, they are treating the other unfairly. 


In our home, Sylvia and I share many of our chores.  Some chores Sylvia is better at than me, and some, I’m better at than her.  One of the chores is dinner and dinner dishes.  The standing rule is that when one makes dinner, the other cleans up.  I dislike cleaning up, but I do my part.  Occasionally one of us will make dinner and clean up as well.  Sometimes it’s a favour because the other one has been working on something else that’s important.  We never forget to thank the other because we realize that it’s a gift of love.   We don’t take the other for granted because we love each other.  


It does come down to loving God and loving others.  When I was discussing the wages, I was thinking of the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 9.  Paul makes a strong argument for being supported, whether by provisions or financially to cover his costs because his role is to invest his time by providing spiritual value.  The return should be material provisions.  Basically, he is devoting his time to serving the people spiritually, and that can be difficult if he also has to work to provide for his own needs.  He also explains that he can’t stop sharing the truth of Jesus because he is driven to do so.  


My take of Paul in this circumstance is that he had a legitimate right to receive provisions from the people he was serving.  But Paul also chose at times not to exercise that right because he did not want anything to become a barrier to his message.


When it comes to dinner, Sylvia and I have a joint goal of treating each other fairly.


Both Paul talking to the Corinthians and Sylvia and I treating each other fairly comes down to love.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and love your neighbour as yourself.  Whether our neighbour is your spouse or someone in the next town.  We treat each other fairly and respectfully.  If we are buying from a shop keeper and trying to get something for nothing, it’s not loving our neighbour and if we are the shop keeper and cheating the person, we are not being loving.


So here it is!


Love your neighbour!


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures