Love Is - Day 232 Month 8-19 Week 34-1
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Kings 6:13-7:12, Proverbs 21:11-20, Ezekiel 30:1-19, 1 Corinthians 13
Love is
I love 1 Corinthians 13. It’s probably one of the most beautiful passages of scripture. My son read this chapter at Sylvia’s and My wedding and it is a description of Love. If you just read my blog but typically miss the scripture reading, why not take some time today to read it.
This part of Scripture is not about romantic love; it’s about love that goes beyond feeling. It’s intentional, has no limits and, though relationships sometimes fail, love doesn’t, because love is a lifestyle.
My mom’s life on this earth was a wonderful example of this love. Mom lived a life of faith. Whenever she’d be taken to hospital, which seemed quite often, the first thing she would ask for when one of us would visit would be: “Can you bring me my Bible?” This was so she could be constantly listening and hearing from God. She prayed and read and prayed and read. This was not all about faith though, it was about love. Mom was not an eloquent speaker but she shared her love and her life with anyone who would listen or experience. So how would I describe her?
Mom was patient, kind, not jealous, was not prideful or arrogant, acted appropriately in all circumstances, unselfish, wasn’t provoked (well when we were kids maybe she got a little provoked, but that was us seeing how far we could take it 🙂), did not pity herself, always showed joy in good and truth, bore all things (her health was poor at the best of times), was not cynical, would never give up her hope for both herself and others and she endured everything, both good and bad. That’s a description of my mom.
I’m sure if Sylvia was writing this blog, she would say the same things about her mom with different circumstances.
Both of our moms were women of faith. Speaking for my mom, her faith was consistent and, though she suffered, it was a constant. She had hope for her heavenly Father, for others and for those she never met, but more than all of that, she was a woman of love. When people were talking at Mom’s memorial service, the one thing we recognized was the great love Mom had for everyone who knew her.
As I’m writing today, I’m very aware of 1 Corinthians 13:1. “If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.”
If I am writing the best blog with the very best catch lines and the most complete thought. It may be dynamic, powerful and interesting to the reader. However, if it is not bathed in love, it’s just a lot of noise. In keeping with that mindset, I just prayed and asked God to let His love show through in my writing and to make me a person of love.
“But now, faith, hope, love , abide these three; but the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13).
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment