How Big is God? - Day 243 Month 8-31 Week 33-5

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


1 Kings 17:17-18:46, Proverbs 25:11-28, Ezekiel 38, 2 Corinthians 6

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Kings%2017%3A17-18%3A46%2C%20Proverbs%2025%3A11-28%2C%20Ezekiel%2038%2C%202%20Corinthians%206&version=NASB1995


How Big is God


Sylvia and I returned from our camping trip today.  It was a crazy day.  We left the campground at 9:30 AM, got back to our local town, Annapolis Royal, by 11 AM, stopped at the local garage to pick up our car that was in for regular service and a repair, and drove home.  We parked the trailer, unloaded it (about an hour), picked up the dog from boarding in Middleton, and discovered he was stinky, so we went straight to Digby to give him a bath.  Then we came home, fed the dog, fed us humans, took the dog for a walk back into town and finally came home.


That’s when I sat down to write my blog.  As I did the reading, I sensed from our reading in 1 Kings how big our God is.  We hear the end of the story of the widow and her son that welcomed Elijah into their home and God provided for them with enough food but then the son dies.  Elijah prays over him and he comes back to life!  


Sounds like a big God to me who brings life back into someone when the prophet asks.  


But then it continues.  Elijah meets the king who wants to kill him and gives him a challenge.  The challenge?  You get your god, Baal, to send fire from heaven and burn your sacrifice and I’ll call on my God, and we’ll see who answers.  


Elijah also had some fun with it.  When the prophets of Baal are not succeeding, Elijah taunts them.  After they were pleading for Baal to send fire, Elijah says “Call out with a loud voice, for he is a god.”  Then he says maybe Baal is occupied or gone aside, or is on a long journey, or maybe he’s asleep.  You need to wake him up.  Then they start cutting themselves to get Baal's attention.  They don’t get a single response.


Then of course, Elijah prepares his sacrifice in the evening.  He pours 12 pitchers of water on it until it is soaked.  Water flowed around the altar and in the trench that surrounded the altar.  Elijah prays and down comes fire from heaven and licks up everything!


This also sounds like a big God who will send fire from heaven to burn a sacrifice like that!


After reading this, it seems pretty small to expect our crazy day to be manageable for this big God.  And sure enough, I’m sitting here writing and did not even realize how much was accomplished today.  It didn’t seem like much as I had stated in the beginning.


So here’s another thing.  I did get my truck repaired several months ago but I still seem to need a new truck in the future and I’d like to sell this truck while it still has value.  The dilemma is simple.  Our current truck is old, we may get 2 or 3 more years out of it.  The current truck gets very bad mileage when towing and gas is not getting cheaper.  If I sell the truck this year, I may get some good money for it.  If I wait, it will eventually just be traded for metal.  If I had my preference, I’d get a Ford F150, from the years 2018 -2020, 2.7 litre engine, low mileage and all this for a reasonable price.  It would get good mileage, even while towing.  Right now a reasonable price is $32,000 and we simply don’t have that.  In fact, to get that, it would take a big God because there is no expected gift that would cover that amount.


Sylvia and I took a drive down the road the other way, in the middle of this hectic day, and there was a truck for sale at the side.  Not exactly what I was looking for but hey, it looks to be in great condition.  I texted my friend who is the son-in-law of the person selling it.  He gave me all the info.  Now, it’s an older truck with a larger engine.  Not the Ford F150, from the years 2018 - 2020, 2.7 litre engine, low mileage I’ve been thinking of.  However, the price was quite a bit lower than what I could sell my current truck for.  It’s a really good deal and it should last a few years.  To boot, it has a trailer that would come with it that could possibly be the base for a tiny home over the ridge.  It may last longer than my current truck but I should be able to sell my truck for more money and that would allow us to pay down some debt.


My friend is a Jesus follower like myself.  I said to him, “I know this sounds like what every Christian says, and I’m typically skeptical but I am going to pray about it, discuss with Sylvia and trust that if it is from God, the finances will work out and it will still be there when I can see it.  I typically jump ahead and regret later!”  I won’t be able to see it until Monday.  The price is very good but I have not discussed it with Sylvia yet and I haven’t prayed about it.  


So here we are.  My God is the same big God who answered Elijah’s prayers and sent down fire from heaven.  I'll pray.  I'll talk to Sylvia.  I'll look at the finances.  And we'll see!  Taking directions from this big God seems the right direction to take.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures