Enough, But Not Too Much - Day 235 Month 8-22 Week 34-4
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Kings 8:54-9:28, Proverbs 22:17-29, Ezekiel 32:9-32, 1 Corinthians 15:1-19
Enough But Not Too Much
We’ve been blessed with a lot, but not too much. We own a home on 8 acres on the Bay of Fundy. We receive a pension from the Canadian government and we receive pension money from investments we have been blessed with. Each month though, we watch our spending and some months we spend more than our income and some months we spend less. As the years pass, we normally see our spending more or less matching what we receive.
Solomon was a king who had great wisdom and God also gifted him with great wealth. I read a bit ahead because I saw a heading called wealth, splendour and wisdom. Solomon received 666 talents of gold annually. That’s estimated to be the equivalent today of 1.8-2 billion US dollars each year. Whether or not that was his income is unimportant. He had access to great wealth and was in need of nothing. He had every material thing he could ever want.
God has provided enough but not too much. I think God knows us better than we know ourselves and one thing that He knows is that we spend what we bring in. Maybe God knows that more would not necessarily be better for me. In fact God has allowed us to overspend and acquire debt on a number of occasions where our only answer has been to sell our home and look for something less costly. Then the cycle has repeated itself.
God still had to warn Solomon. In 1 Kings 9:1-9, God comes to Solomon in a dream in response to Solomon's prayer and petition. God promises that if Solomon lives as his father David had lived that God will bless him and his throne will be established forever. Then there is a big “but.” God says that if Solomon and his sons turn away from following Him, He will remove them from their land and out of His sight. “This house will become a heap of ruins” (1 Kings 9:8).
Unfortunately, we will read as we continue in our daily reading, that Solomon turns his back on God and many of the kings after him did not follow God. We have already read, and are reading, in the prophets, that eventually, after many years and many kings, they are led into captivity in Babylon.
I am thankful that God has not given us more than we need though at times I dream what it would be like to have more. What I do get to experience is God’s provision when we have needs beyond what we receive.
As an example, at the start of 2026, we looked forward to our budget for this year and realized we needed additional income to meet the budget. I contacted our financial manager and told him what we needed. Before he responded, I received a letter in the mail informing me of an annuity I had totally forgotten about. That annuity was what our budget required. Think about how cool that is. God knew we’d need the money when those savings were set aside 25-30 years ago. I had forgotten but God knew it would be needed when it was.
It’s the little provision things that remind me that God is there and He loves me.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment