An Interrupted Day - Day 222 Month 8-9 Week 32-5

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)

2 Samuel 20, Proverbs 17:1-14, Ezekiel 23:1-24, 1 Corinthians 2

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Samuel%2020%2C%20Proverbs%2017%3A1-14%2C%20Ezekiel%2023%3A1-24%2C%201%20Corinthians%202&version=ESV

An Interrupted Day                                              

Life is feeling hard right now.  We make plans for the day and before much has happened, those plans change because of things outside our control.  In the past, I would get really frustrated and become determined to accomplish my plans, but I have become a little more laid back because I know God's plans are being accomplished.  If there is one thing I have learned from doing this reading and writing this year, it is that my plans need to become God's plans.

So with Jake, our dog, being ill, our plans, as simple as cutting the lawn, had to change.

Yesterday I explained that Jake needed to see a veterinarian, but our veterinarian was away on vacation.  We all need vacation time, and I fully support her being away. However, our dog still needed a vet.  We had called the emergency number the day before and were told to bring him in, to their office (not our veterinarian office), during regular veterinary hours the following day.

There was one problem.  In Nova Scotia, veterinarians are in short supply, just like family doctors.  Once you have a veterinarian, you generally cannot simply go to another clinic, and another clinic will often not see you if you already have an existing veterinarian.

I called the office handling the emergency service.  I explained what the emergency veterinarian had told us and kindly asked if they could see Jake.  I was put on hold for a short time.  When the receptionist returned, she said they would make an exception and could see Jake at 2:45 p.m.  The conversation was on speakerphone so Sylvia could hear it too.  When we heard they would see him, I immediately felt relief, and I could see the same relief on Sylvia's face.

   

Jake in the Car, waiting for his test results

I came away thankful for how everything worked out.  My plan for the day had been to finish cutting the lawn, but I only got the main lawn done.  I still have all the trimming to do.  Instead, we were able to get Jake the care he needed.  The staff at the clinic were wonderful, and Jake was an instant favourite.  Our boy is a star!  He had an examination, some testing, and medication, and by the time we left we felt well cared for.

It's easy to get caught up in the “to dos” of a day.  Some of those things really do need to be done, but others are not nearly as important.  God loves each of us, and He calls us to follow Him.  Sometimes that means our plans change for our benefit, like getting Jake to the veterinarian.  Other times, His purposes are much bigger than we can see.

"For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16).

We need to remember that God's purposes are greater than we can fully understand, and the Holy Spirit guides us as we seek to follow God.  Rather than becoming frustrated when our plans change, we can choose to remain open to where God may be leading.  Fighting to hold onto our own plans is often counterproductive.  It is better to stay flexible and trust Him with whatever each day brings.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make plans. I'm saying we should be ready to adjust.

Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures