Who Do We Worship? - Day 200 Month 7-18 Week 29-4

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


1 Samuel 22:1-23:14, Proverbs 9:1-12, Ezekiel 6, Acts 27:1-13

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%2022%3A1-23%3A14%2C%20Proverbs%209%3A1-12%2C%20Ezekiel%206%2C%20Acts%2027%3A1-13&version=NASB1995


Who Do We Worship?

The prophet Ezekiel was prophesying about God destroying Israel's high places and idols and judging the people for following other gods and worshipping idols.

Who do you worship, or what do you worship?  Maybe that is the wrong question.  To whom do you show profound love, respect, and awe?  Do you adore someone or something beyond all else?  Those last two questions come much closer to defining worship.

In my life, I have met people who worship success.  I have met people who worship money and others who worship fitness.  I have met people who worship nature.  They worship the created rather than the Creator.

A number of years ago, I was talking with a friend of mine named Dale, an acoustic consultant.  He was a well respected designer who was especially gifted at creating sound systems within the limitations of a building.  I was privileged to work closely with him on several projects.  During one conversation, we discussed the unique ways different materials affect sound waves by absorbing, reflecting, or altering them.  As he showed me some complex diagrams, he simply said, “It’s physics, Steve.”  Then he added, “It’s the way God designed it. After all, God created science.”

Science helps us understand how the universe works.  Faith asks why it exists in the first place.

Dale’s comment that “God created science” has stayed with me for years because it rings true.  If God created science, then it seems reasonable to conclude that science and faith are not enemies but companions in helping us understand the world around us.

All of that is simply a way of pointing out how extraordinary creation is.  Electrons move around the nucleus of an atom, and countless atoms come together to form everything we see.  The moon orbits the earth, and the earth orbits the sun. Our solar system is part of the Milky Way, which itself is only one galaxy among countless others in the universe.  Scientists have discovered that the universe continues to expand, revealing an even greater universe than we once imagined.  The more I think about atoms, galaxies, and the physical laws that govern them, the more I am amazed that the God behind it all, knows and cares about each of us personally.  The greatness of creation only deepens my gratitude that God knows us, loves us, and sent His Son, Jesus, so that we might be part of His kingdom here on earth and beyond.

That is who I worship.

Wow. Let that sink in.

Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures