Unexpected Places - Day 202 Month 7-20 Week 29-6
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Samuel 25:2-38, Proverbs 10:1-12, Ezekiel 8, Acts 28:1-10
Unexpected Places
A year or so ago, a coworker of mine took his family on vacation to Malta. When he returned, he told me that “my buddy Paul” had spent time on the island and that there were landmarks marking where Paul had been. He went on to tell me the story of how Paul was bitten by a snake but simply shook it off and suffered no ill effects. What I found interesting is that two thousand years later, my coworker was still talking about the apostle Paul's brief and unexpected stay on the island.
Wherever Paul went, he was used by God, even as a shipwrecked prisoner. It is also clear that when God has a plan, even a snake bite cannot get in the way. The people of Malta first thought Paul was a murderer and that justice was being served through the snake bite. Then, when the bite did not affect him, they jumped to the opposite conclusion and decided that he was a god. Paul, of course, was not a god, but a man on a mission from God. He went on to heal many people, and many were likely added to the church. What I also realize is that Paul's time in Malta continues to affect people. His shipwreck lasted only a short time, but the impact of his presence there continues until this day.
There is a large underground burial site in Malta called St. Paul’s Catacombs. It provides significant archaeological evidence of the early Christian communities that grew on the island following Paul’s visit. What fascinates me is that God used a shipwreck to place Paul in a location where he would help lead many people to believe in Jesus.
I have a friend with whom I have since lost touch. In our thirties, however, we became good friends, and one day I asked him how he had become a Jesus follower. His answer caught me off guard. He said, “You are how I became a Jesus follower.”
He went on to tell me that he and his sister had started attending church because they felt they should explore this faith thing. It was the church where I worked as the Technical Director. At the time, I primarily ran sound, and the sound booth was located at the front of the balcony. I often had to go down to the stage, deliver wireless microphones to the pastor’s office, and handle various errands that required me to leave the booth before services and occasionally during them.
I had no idea that, during all those trips back and forth, I was smiling at my friend and his sister and acknowledging them whenever I passed by. I never said a word. I simply smiled and nodded. Somehow, God used those small interactions to reach my friend’s heart, and he pursued faith because of them.
The sound booth itself was far from ideal. It was an improvement over the previous booth, which had been tucked away in a room at the back of the church with only a window looking into the auditorium. Eventually, the booth was moved to a much better location on the main floor, but perhaps that temporary location served a purpose. God may have used it for many reasons, but I know He used it for at least one. My friend saw the hands and feet of Jesus through a technician who happened to work in that booth.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment