The Better Choice - Day 194 Month 7-12 Week 28-5

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


1 Samuel 14:47-15:35, Proverbs 6:20-35, Lamentations 5, Acts 22

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%2014%3A47-15%3A35%2C%20Proverbs%206%3A20-35%2C%20Lamentations%205%2C%20Acts%2022&version=NASB1995

The Better Choice

I, like everyone who owns a vehicle, need a brake job every now and then.  About a year ago I needed rear brakes on my truck, and the technician told me I needed both rotors and brake pads.  If you are unfamiliar with brakes, the rotors are the metal discs that spin with the wheels, and the brake pads press against the rotors to create the friction that stops the vehicle.  If the brake pads are replaced early enough, the rotors usually do not need to be replaced every time.  Normally they only need replacing every second brake job.  When my brakes were repaired, the technician told me it was too bad I had not done the work a little sooner because I would not have needed new rotors.  Unfortunately, I have always waited too long and ended up replacing the rotors as well.

By waiting too long, I ended up “sacrificing” a lot more money than I needed to.

It is probably not the best illustration, but it does demonstrate something about sin, or choosing to act outside the will of God.  Samuel said to Saul, “Has the LORD as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams” (1 Samuel 15:22).

Throughout life we make decisions that are either inside or outside the will of God.  Sometimes those decisions involve obvious questions of right and wrong. Other times they are like arriving at a fork in the road and choosing one direction over another. Saul's sin was choosing a path that was outside the will of God.

Simply put, if we follow the path God leads us along, sacrifices for our disobedience are not necessary.  God would much rather we obey His leading than require forgiveness afterward.  In Saul's case, his choice carried very serious consequences. God rejected him as king because of his disobedience.

In much the same way that I sacrificed money by waiting too long to repair my brakes, Saul sacrificed his kingdom because he chose not to obey the LORD.

In everyday life, followers of Jesus still make decisions that are either inside or outside the will of God.  Thankfully, Jesus made the one sacrifice that provides forgiveness for our sins.  We still make mistakes, and God would rather we did not sin in the first place.  Even so, our poor choices often come with consequences that become their own kind of sacrifice.  Looking back, I sometimes wonder if buying this house was the best decision.  We have spent a great deal of money on renovations, and I was not able to retire when I expected. Possibly, another choice would have been wiser, but only God knows.  What I do know is that learning to seek His direction before making those decisions is always better than dealing with the consequences afterward.


Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures