Looking in the Mirror - Day 198 Month 7-16 Week 29-2
Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)
1 Samuel 19:1-20:29, Proverbs 8:12-21, Ezekiel 4, Acts 25
Looking in the Mirror
“The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; pride and arrogance and the evil way and the perverted mouth, I hate” (Proverbs 8:13).
So let me get this straight. If I fear the LORD, I will hate evil. I suppose that makes sense because the LORD and evil are polar opposites. The verse goes on to highlight pride, arrogance, opposition to God, and the way we use our words. Aren't pride and arrogance at the root of many sinful behaviours? The evil way can be understood as living in opposition to God and His ways. The perverted mouth goes beyond foul language and includes deceit, lying, and manipulative speech.
Pride and arrogance are difficult because we often fail to recognize them in ourselves. Arrogant people tend to think they are more important, smarter, or superior to others. I know people who fit that description. If I am being honest, I know that I can be arrogant as well. I am especially prone to arrogance when discussing something in which I have training or experience. In those moments, I can become unwilling to listen to opposing views because I am convinced that I know the best way forward. Thankfully, I have a wife who is more than willing to let me know when that happens.
One person I know once said, “It is my place to call people out.” The problem is that she herself is very prideful. She acts as though she is more important, smarter, and superior to others, and if anyone questions her, she immediately turns the criticism back on them. She calls them out. Unfortunately, that attitude can become hypocrisy. Jesus said, “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” (Matthew 7:3). He continues, “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye” (Matthew 7:5). There is wisdom in the old saying that when you point a finger at someone, three fingers point back at you. I suspect that when people constantly judge or call others out, they are often unwilling to examine themselves honestly.
The evil way is simply a life lived in opposition to God. Some very good and kind people live that way. I have met several customers at the hardware store who are genuinely pleasant, but if the conversation turns toward God, their views quickly become anti-God.
Do you know anyone with a perverted mouth? Someone who deceives, lies, or manipulates? I also know many people who regularly use foul language. It is a shame, really.
I overheard a customer at the hardware store who used the f bomb in nearly every sentence. It was once a word heard mostly outside professional settings, yet this man spoke that way to everyone. As I listened, I realized that he used the word as a verb for almost every noun and then used it as a noun itself. His language made me uncomfortable.
So how does a person live differently? The opening line of the verse gives the answer: “The fear of the LORD is to hate evil.” Live in accordance with God. A life shaped by humility, honesty, and love naturally stands out. Recognize that He loves you, accept His love and forgiveness, and live each day in relationship with Him. In doing so, you may become the kind of person others notice and think, “There is something different about that person.” And perhaps one day someone will stop and ask why. They may see your love for God and for others in the way you respond to the world around you.
Have a great day!
Steve
You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week. Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub
Comments
Post a Comment