Looking Beyond Appearances - Day 195 Month 7-13 Week 28-6

Today's Reading (Bible in 1 year)


1 Samuel 16:1-17:19, Proverbs 7:1-5, Ezekiel 1:1-21, Acts 23:1-22

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%2016%3A1-17%3A19%2C%20Proverbs%207%3A1-5%2C%20Ezekiel%201%3A1-21%2C%20Acts%2023%3A1-22&version=NASB1995


Looking Beyond Appearances

It happens when I am driving, walking down the street, working at the hardware store, and even in church. I notice someone and immediately decide what that person is like, defining them by their appearance. Over the years, I have come to recognize the judgments I make, and I try to put those thoughts out of my mind. I suspect they are still buried somewhere inside me because the same thing happens the next time I find myself in a similar situation.

The most common example happens when I am driving. A driver is travelling at 70 KPH in a 90 KPH zone with a line of five cars behind them. It would probably be one hundred cars in Ontario. I immediately decide that the driver must be a really old person. I have to say “really old” because some people would argue that I am old. In my mind, I conclude that the person should not be driving anymore. When I finally get a chance to pass, I look over to see whether I was right.

Sometimes I am right, but the real problem with my reaction is that I have no idea why the person is travelling at 70 KPH. That driver may be cautious, may be an excellent driver, and may be an absolutely wonderful person. Unfortunately, I have already labelled them because their driving inconvenienced me.

“Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7).

These are the words God spoke to Samuel when he arrived at Jesse's home to anoint the future king of Israel. Jesse had left his youngest son, David, tending sheep while the older brothers stood before Samuel. When Samuel saw Jesse's firstborn son, Eliab, he assumed that he must be God's choice. Instead, God reminded Samuel that people judge by outward appearances, while He looks at the heart.

Unfortunately, this tendency also reveals itself in racism. Even in Canada, Black people are sometimes unfairly judged while driving and may be pulled over despite obeying the law. If a crime has been committed in the area, assumptions can quickly be made based solely on appearance. This is what we call racial profiling.

I am thankful that “the LORD looks at the heart.” None of us is judged by our appearance before God. He loves us regardless of what we look like.

In turn, we should love others without judgment. Every time I make assumptions about someone I do not know, I need to push those thoughts aside. I need to turn away from judgment and choose to love the person instead.

There is an elderly gentleman who often comes into the hardware store. When I first met him, I was not quite sure what to think, although he seemed nice. As I got to know him, I discovered that he is one of the kindest people I know and that he is always willing to lend a hand. My coworkers told me that he moved much more quickly before he had Covid, but that he has slowed down a little since then.

Now, whenever I see him, we end up having a wonderful conversation. I have learned that he is a follower of Jesus and that his kindness has been passed on to his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. When I reach his age, I hope people will say that I am like him. I am incredibly thankful that I did not first meet him while stuck behind him on the highway. I don’t know whether he is a 70 KPH in a 90 KPH driver, but if he is, I would have labelled someone I now hope to aspire to when I am in my eighties.

Have a great day!

Steve

steve.d.pauls@gmail.com


You can subscribe to this blog and receive an email each day or week.  Just visit the following link. https://follow.it/my-faith-view-from-here-daily-readings-and-thoughts?leanpub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 - Week 3 Day1 Let Your Heart Rest

Day 20 - Week 3 Day 6 The Rock

Day 25 Week 4 Day 4 Green Pastures